(By Arushi Sachan / Header photo by Nicole Martorana) From the courting to the committed, this Valentine’s Day downtown Harrisonburg has treats in store for every lover! With the season of love upon us, downtown businesses have flowers, gifts, sweets, and surprises in store to assure you a memorable day of celebrating your love. Surprise that special someone with flowers or other gifts, and then take them out for a romantic evening of dinner, dancing, or a show!
Here’s a sweet sampling of what you can do downtown on the big day to make your Valentine feel special:
– Sparrow’s Floral Design (540-209-8074) is collaborating with Kassy Newman for standard roses, plants, garden designs, cards, chocolates and dried bouquets with special bike and vehicle delivery service by Giddyup. Call to preorder now, or get a 10% discount by visiting their new location and placing your order in person at their First Friday Open House on Friday, February 7. For another fresh and fabulous downtown floral option, check out long-time downtown residents Blue Ridge Florist & Gift Shop at 165 N Main St! (540-434-9931).
– Three Notch’d Valley Collab House is doing their annual five-course Valentine’s Day Dinner on 2/14 with @eatmashita again this year for $75 with five beer pairings included! You may sign up at their taproom or call to reserve at (540-217-5939).
– You can also enjoy a 3 course prix fixe menu on 2/14 or 2/15 at Mashita (105 N Liberty St)! Call (540)810-1875 to make a reservation.
– Pale Fire Brewing Co. (540-217-5452) is doing a pop up on-site oyster-shucking dinner on 2/14 in collaboration with Rappahannock Oyster Co. from 1-7pm. You may choose from Rappahannocks (sweet) or Olde Salts (briny). Prices range from $10 half dozen to $20 full dozen.
– Montpelier Restaurant & Bar (540-214-2280) Savor Chef Tripp Yeargin’s exceptional specials like the red snapper, lobster ravioli or 16 oz rib eye with your sweetheart on 2/14 or 2/15. Round out the day’s culinary delights with a scratch-made cheesecake or a strawberry layer cake with cream cheese frosting. To make an online reservation, click here.
– Food.Bar.Food (540-433-3663) is your place if you are a poetry geek! Featuring menus inspired by poets Pablo Neruda from Chile, Victor Hugo from France and Rumi from Persia, embark on Foodbarfood’s three-course Valentine’s Culinary Adventure Dinner for $50 per person (tax and gratuity included) on 2/13 – 2/15. To make a reservation, visit https://www.foodbarfood.com/culinary-adventure-dinner. If you’d like to make a reservation for a large party, email email@example.com.
– Rocktown Kitchen (540-217-2425) is featuring live mood-setting music from Trio Jazz and a decadent three-course dinner menu including their fried calamari, seared halibut fillet, beef tenderloin medallions, and their famous peanut butter pie. Call to make a reservation.
– Restless Moons Brewing (540-217-2726) will be hosting the Love & Laugh Comedy Show by X2 Comedy. Come laugh the night away with JMU’s New & Improv’d group (including their 4 new players!) and X2’s hilarious leading lady Dawn Womack. There’s no cover charge for this show, so come by and enjoy the laughs along with a few beers!
– Habana Café (540-434-1704) will be hosting a San Valentine Salsa Party for you and your lover to dance the night away with salsa lessons 9-10pm and social dance 10pm-1am. $5 to enter!
– Brothers Craft Brewing (540-421-6599) is hosting a Valentine’s Day Dinner, Popcorn, and Movie Night! The evening is designed for couples, groups of friends, or the individual that wants to go it alone to enjoy some locally crafted dinner from Flavor Savor BBQ, popcorn from PrePOPsterous, and craft beer while taking in cult classic When Harry Met Sally at 8pm.
– Friendly City Dance Room (540-305-4143) will be having their Friday night Contra Dance with Ricochet on 2/14! Bring your special someone and learn how to contra dance for an at-the-door donation of $15 per couple ($8 per person).
And that’s not all that downtown has to offer for the holiday, of course — you’re sure to find the perfect gift at one of downtown’s 40+ unique shops and boutiques, and there are dining options to suit every palate and budget in our equally bustling and diverse culinary district. But the big day is coming up fast — be sure to do your shopping and place your reservations soon!