Header image from Lola Mo’s Deli
Kick off your Turkey day with The Rocktown Turkey Trot, an 8am four-mile run to support Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, in which each participant is asked to donate one canned or non-perishable food item. This annual event presented by Local Chop & Grill House, Joshua Wilton House, Brothers Craft Brewing and Jacktown, welcomes all skill levels and allows for a creative Thanksgiving-themed dress code. While adults get to run on a timed clock, kids can join The Gobble Gobble Kids Dash, a run around the closed-down streets of Court Square right before the Turkey Trot.
Whether you spend the evening in cooking with your family and loved ones or want to make reservations to eat out here are a few businesses in Harrisonburg Downtown that you can help you out with every Turkey Day need:
- Bittersweet Bakery (301-616-5609) is currently taking pre-orders for pies, cookies, dinner rolls, and other delicious 100% made from scratch baked goods until Sunday, November 24th by phone or email. They will also be open on Tuesday November 26th 7:30am-3pm and Wednesday November 27th 7:30am-6pm, however the bakery items on these days are first come first serve and sell out quickly.
- Friendly City Food Co-op (540-801-8882) is taking pre-orders for Thanksgiving turkeys now through November 20th. Choose from fresh Non-GMO or Organic free-range turkeys from Mary’s Turkeys, or a local turkey from Polyface Farm. Fill out a turkey pre-order form in-store or online. Co-op members/owners get $5 off.
- The Heritage Bakery & Cafe (540-564-1200) is taking pre-orders via email for pecan pies, tarts, Swedish spongecake ‘toscakaka,’ and their princess cakes- available in pumpkin chai with a browned butter glaze, gingerbread with cranberries and a ganache drip, or a lemon blackberry pound cake.
- Bella Gelato & Pastries (540-433-1366) is taking pre-orders via phone or email due November 23rd to be picked up on November 26th and 27th for classic/premium pies, cheesecakes, cookies, gelato, rolls, breads and croissants.
- While Lola Mo’s (540-908-3253) is closed on Thanksgiving itself, you can try their Thanksgiving-inspired sandwich “Turcranwich” on the weekend of November 22nd or recover from all the Thanksgiving food with a braised brisket and onion jam sandwich on the weekend of November 30th. Additionally, you can pre-order pumpkin or pecan pie or a branch out with desserts like coconut cream pie, lemon meringue, chocolate cake, a batch of fresh cookies, brownies or lemon bars by Friday, November 22nd to picked up by Wednesday November 27th. Order via phone or email.
- No Thanksgiving table is complete without a centerpiece! Get in touch with Sparrow’s Flowers (540-432-5576) to order a fresh, one-of-a-kind arrangement that will be the highlight of the dinner table.
- The Joshua Wilton House (540-434-4464) is offering a gourmet, three-course meal featuring Polyface Farm turkeys. You can dine anytime between 12-4 pm. Make reservations online.
- Montpelier Restaurant & Bar (540-214-2280) is hosting a delicious Thanksgiving Buffet that includes Virginia honey ham, oven-roasted turkey and prime rib from 11.30am-3pm on Thursday, November 28. Make reservations online.
- Finnigan’s Cove (540-433-9874) is open from 4pm-2am on Thursday, November 28 and offering a homemade Thanksgiving dinner for $12.95, which includes Fresh baked turkey, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans with bacon, cranberry salad, and a fresh baked roll. There will also be a limited sandwich menu, appetizer menu, and raw bar available that includes steamed shrimp, crab legs, crawfish, clams, oysters (raw or steamed), and steamed clams. Reservations through phone or email.
Additionally, you may unwind and rejuvenate with your family at Blacks Run Zen Center, which is open during it’s usual Thursday hours 7:15-7:45am or attend a 90-minute Bikram Method class hosted by Rocktown Hot Yoga on Thursday, November 28 at 8am.