What sounds better to you?
Rising before the sun, bundling up grumpy, turkey-stuffed family members, and standing in line outside a big box store on Black Friday where there are limited quantities of “block buster” deals that come with the risk of getting trampled when the doors open; or
Starting your day by having brunch, picking up a hand-crafted warm beverage to accompany you on a stroll through independently owned downtown businesses where a friendly, not frenzied, atmosphere greets you as you discover unique gifts on Black Friday and Small Business Saturday.
Shopping for the holidays doesn’t have to be a stressful and daunting task. It can be a special experience in the heart of downtown. There’s an added benefit of knowing that you are making a difference and you never know who you’ll see.
Need more reasons to shop small?
1.Buying local is an investment in your own community. When you spend $100 at local, independent businesses, $68 dollars gets returned to Harrisonburg. When we spend $100 at national businesses, only $43 gets returned to the city. When you buy anything online, $0 gets returned. We’re investing in our schools, roads, and other services we use daily with every local purchase.
2. Small businesses are the backbone of our economy. According to Forbes, there are 28 million small businesses, which account for 54% of all U.S. sales. Small businesses accounted for 65% of all net new jobs in the last 17 years, too.
3. Do you recognize any of the people in this photo? When you shop small, you’re supporting your neighbor and friends!
4. Independent businesses buy local, too! They use local designers, printers, accountants, lawyers, etc. Each purchase of a national corporation is coordinated by its headquarters.
5. Independent businesses support nonprofits like HDR, other local charities, and our schools through financial and in-kind donations. Who do you think sponsors all of our awesome downtown events?
Are you ready to shop? Here’s what’s happening!
*All promotions are for Nov. 23 and 24th unless otherwise noted.
- Bluetique will open early at 9am on Nov. 23 + 24. Look for their Black Friday deals on their Instagram page in the days leading up to the event. On Small Business Saturday, you can draw a candy cane and receive a surprise discount (up to 30% off) to use that day.
- Brothers Craft Brewing is kicking off their 3rd annual Brothers’ Giving Tree campaign on Nov. 23 to benefit the residents of Mercy House. Check out their Black Friday beer and merch specials when you stop by.
- Charlee Rose Boutique – Look for their door buster deals on Black Friday. On Small Business Saturday, receive a gift with a purchase of $50 or more and be entered into a gift card drawing.
- Explore More Discovery Museum – Shop the museum discovery store and save. Get 20% off all store items.
- Green Hummingbird – All Bajas and other select winter wear is 20% off, plus scarves are BOGO 50% off.
- Heartworn Vintage – Enjoy 15% off!
- Hugo Kohl – The earlier you shop at Hugo Kohl on Black Friday, the bigger discount you’ll receive on all in-store jewelry! 9-10AM- 25% off, 10-11AM – 20% off, 11am-Noon – 15% off, and Noon-6pm – 10%off. From 10am – 2pm on Small Business Saturday, look for specials on all in-store diamond, gold and platinum jewelry.
- The Isle Co. – For every purchase (minimum $10), have your name entered to win a gift basket valued at $100.
- The Lady Jane – Opens at 9am on Nov. 23 + 24. Choose from their tree of mystery discounts for up to 50% off an item in store or a surprise giveaway.
- Larkin Arts – Pay less for more! For two days only, on Nov. 23 and 24, you can get a $50 gift certificate for $45 or a $100 gift certificate for only $90.
- Lineage – Enjoy 10% off store wide on Nov. 23 + 24, in store and online. Receive a complimentary leather Lineage key fob with purchase of $50 or more both days (while supplies last).
- New Creation – check out their $5, $10 and $15 deals!
- Pale Fire Brewing Co. is taking merchandise pre-orders for a logo hoodie and 64oz stainless steel insulated growler. The deadline to order is Black Friday and all orders received between now and then are $5 off the list price. They’re also releasing a Live Music Pass on Black Friday which will waive the ticket price for all shows during the 2019 calendar year. The price will be $32 and anyone who purchases on Black Friday or Small Business Saturday will be entered to win a second pass that they can give to a friend.
- Restorative Massage Therapy – Now through Nov. 23rd, purchase a gift certificate and receive a 15% discount on all regular priced services (in store or online). Or purchase two 1-hr gift certificates and get a free gift certificate for a mini facial ($20 value). Restorative Massage will be closed on Small Business Saturday.
- Ruby’s Arcade is the perfect spot to break for lunch while you’re out shopping. Buy two 2 topping 9-inch pizzas and a pitcher of beer for only $20 (This promotion is good through the end of November.)
- Shenandoah Bicycle Company – Receive 10% off all parts, accessories and apparel, a $25 gift card with the purchase of any kids’ bike (24″ wheel or smaller), or a $50 gift card with the purchase of any adult bike (26″ wheel or larger).
- Ten Thousand Villages – Enjoy their BOGO 50% off sale on jewelry and ornaments.
- Three Notch’d Valley Collab House – Enjoy an early happy hour from 3-6pm.
- Virginia Quilt Museum – Everything in their gift shop is 20% off (except consignment items) on Small Business Saturday. They will be closed on Black Friday.
- Walkabout Outfitter will have great deals on select items, gift certificates with qualifying purchases and free coffee while you shop!
- withSimplicity is opening early at 9am on Nov. 23 + 24. On Black Friday, get a free .5oz pro age serum, in store and online, with any purchase of $50 or more. On Small Business Saturday, enjoy free shipping on all US orders online. In store, spend $50 or more and pick from a variety of gifts they have wrapped ranging from a lip balm to free products, and as much as a $50 gift card (while supplies last). Also, look for their 12 days of Deals starting on Dec. 1st.
The following businesses will be closed on Black Friday and Small Business Saturday:
- Bittersweet Bakery
- Shenandoah Yoga will be closed on Nov. 23 and 24th, but look for their online specials throughout that weekend. You can save 20% off regular 4-class and 8-class passes and gift cards, as well as prenatal 4-class passes and gift cards. The online sale will be active during both Black Friday and Small Business Saturday.