RULES AND PROCEDURES 2021 WINTER WONDERFEST GINGERBREAD HOUSE BUILD-OFF
Downtown Harrisonburg’s first-ever gingerbread house contest is inviting corporations and community members to get creative and showcase their confection-construction talents. We will have several prizes that will be awarded to “professional/corporate competitors” (bakers, architects, engineers, etc) and “general competitors” who would include individuals and families (not submitting on behalf of a company). We anticipate having more general competitor entries than professional competitors and will be asking all general competitors to submit photos of their completed houses in advance for our team of judges to select for inclusion in the Gingerbread House Gallery at the Harrisonburg Homes Team’s downtown office where the public will be invited to vote on their favorites on Dec. 11th!
Entry Form Deadline: Tuesday, December 7, 2021
- for BOTH the General Competitor Category and Professional Competitor Category
- Fill out the entry form here.
Gingerbread House Display & Public Voting: Saturday, December 11, 2021 from 11 AM to 4 PM at the Harrisonburg Homes Team office (83 S. Main Street)
Gingerbread House Drop-off: Houses can be dropped off at The Harrisonburg Homes Team’s office on Friday, December 10th from 9 AM – 5 PM.
*If you’d like to compete but can’t deliver your house during that time, an alternate drop off date and time can be arranged by contacting us at email@example.com.
Both professional and general competitor category entrants must adhere to the following rules:
- All Gingerbread Houses must be built on a heavy duty cardboard or PLYWOOD board base not to exceed 18” by 18”. FREE pre-cut plywood bases are available for pick-up at the HDR office.
- The foundational base board, candy wrappers, and lights are the only non-edible materials that can be used to construct your Gingerbread House.
- No artificial materials, such as styrofoam or wood, are to be used to construct or decorate the house.
- Non-edible decorations, such as paint, ribbon, figurines, etc. may be used ONLY to decorate the plywood base.
- Please come up with a title/name for your Gingerbread House and place it in a visible place on the base of your entry.
The Gingerbread House Build-Off is open to all ages and groups, for rules, entry form and recipes visit https://downtownharrisonburg.org/winter-wonderfest/ or join the Facebook event page.
PRIZES FOR GENERAL ENTRY CATEGORY
ADULT CATEGORY — Age 18+
1st Place: $100 Downtown Dollars
2nd Place: $75 Downtown Dollars
3rd Place: $50 Downtown Dollars
TEEN CATEGORY — Age 13 to 17
1st Place: $75 Downtown Dollars
2nd Place: $50 Downtown Dollars
3rd Place: $25 Downtown Dollars
CHILD CATEGORY — Age 12 and under (must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to claim prize)
1st Place: $50 Downtown Dollars
2nd Place: $25 Downtown Dollars
3rd Place: $10 Downtown Dollars
PRIZES FOR PROFESSIONAL ENTRY CATEGORY
MASTER BUILDER — GRAND PRIZE
$250 Downtown Dollars
$100 Downtown Dollars
$50 Downtown Dollars
The Gingerbread Houses will be on display at the Harrisonburg Homes Team office to be voted on by the public from 11am-4pm on Saturday, December 11th.
Winners will be announced when voting closes at 4pm.