Main Street organizations like Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance have an essential role to play in supporting businesses during this difficult period. As such, we’ll be posting and updating small business resources on this page as they become available. HDR staff is here for you! Together, we will make sure the heart and soul of our community – Downtown Harrisonburg – is here when we come back. Please reach out if you need anything – we’ll be actively supporting businesses and our community throughout COVID-19.
If you’re a downtown business owner and you’d like to get resources and updates like this regularly sent to you via email, please sign up for HDR’s all-business emails. See an example all-business email and learn how to sign up here.
CUSTOMER SURVEY RESULTS ARE IN: HDR asked customers to share their thoughts on supporting local safely, once Virginia’s stay-at-home order is lifted. Over 1,700 people responded to let us know what would make them feel more comfortable when dining, shopping, exercising, worshiping downtown. Our hope is that this information will help business plan how and when to reopen, and formulate a plan for welcoming people back downtown, when it’s safe to do so.
COVID-19 Financial Resources for Small Businesses
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Small Business Resilience Grant Program — Maximum grant amounts of $5,000. Funds are granted, not loaned.
- Small Business Owners’s Guide to the CARES Act and Federal Funding Programs
- Harrisonburg City No-Interest Disaster Impact Loans — As of 3/26 all funds have been loaned. We’ll keep you updated if more funds become available.
- Employee Retention Credit Information from the IRS
Quickbooks Small Business Relief with Go Fund Me – Get a $500 matching grant for raising at least $500
- The Red Backpack Fund — $5,000 grants for majority women-owned businesses with fewer than 50 employees
- The VA 30 Day Fund — Grants for Virginia small businesses with 3-30 employees
- ABC Returns — Restaurants can return unopened ABC product with no stocking fee
- Spreadsheet Comparison of COVID-19 SBA Programs
- PPP vs. EIDL Comparison Infographic from Virginia SBDC
- Staunton Creative Community Fund — Offering 2% loans up to $5,000. Harrisonburg businesses are eligible
- Free online ads from The Citizen for businesses and non-profits — email Bridget at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daily-News Record Advertising Grants — up to $15,000 in local print and online advertising with the DNR
Virginia small businesses are also eligible for SBA disaster loans. No application fee. Unsecured loans up to $25,000, secured up to $2M. 3.75% interest rate, repayment plans up to 30 years. Apply directly through SBA, not banks.
Learn how to apply at https://www.valleysbdc.org/covid-19/ and download the forms you will need at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/Information/PaperForms.
Community & Technical Assistance for Small Businesses
- Virginia Phase One Reopening Guidelines
- Industry-Specific Re-Opening Trust Kit from Downtown Lansing
- Shenandoah Valley Emotional Support Line — (540-820-5762)
- Pandemic Relaunch Tool for Restaurants and Bars
Checklist for Small Businesses – Creative ways to keep your business open during Covid-19
Downtown Unite! — A shared doc for downtown business owners to connect with ideas and resources
- How to Sell Gift Cards For Your Small Business
- SVSBDC’s Covid-19 Business Support and Resource Guide
- Event cancellation directory at The Daily News-Record
- Learn how to update your Google listing for changes in hours and services
- Free Online Round Table Meetings for Small Businesses from Jessica Brauer
- Whizbang Retail Forum — Free brainstorming sessons via Facebook live every Tuesday at 1pm
- Staunton Creative Community Fund Resources
Assistance and Resources for Employees
- Pale Fire Helps pop-up food pantry for restaurant workers
- United Way Support Portal
- Bartender Emergency Assistance Program
- Virginia Unemployment Commission — one-week waiting period has been suspended. Employees facing either a full layoff or partial reduction in hours are eligible
- Harrisonburg Virtual Tip Jar
- GoFundMe for Harrisonburg Culinary District Workers