Red, white and blue plus you! It’s Harrisonburg’s 17th annual Independence Day celebration. Great food, music and entertainment attract thousands of people to downtown Harrisonburg for a fun day with family, friends and neighbors.
Valley Fourth is held rain or shine. Friendly dogs are welcome, but must be on a leash at all times.
Unless otherwise noted, event activities are taking place at Turner Pavilion & Park.
New to Harrisonburg? Use Turner Pavilion’s address: 228 S. Liberty St. Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Join Facebook Event
Schedule of Events
7am: Breathe's Sunrise Circuit
Free community Pilates class led by Breathe instructors underneath Turner Pavilion.
8:20am-10am: Valley 4th RUN
This is the only chipped timing race in the Shenandoah Valley that lets you pick your charity and your distance. Charities benefiting from this year's run include: Scholars' Latino Initiative (SLI), FairField Center, and, yours truly, Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance.
11:30am, 1:45pm, 4:00pm: The Lego Movie (at Court Square Theater)
Court Square Theater presents three showing of The Lego Movie (PG). Click here to purchase tickets. Children under 3 receive free entry.
12pm: Reading of the Declaration of Independence (on Court Square)
The Fort Harrison Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution present the Reading of the Declaration of Independence for the 23rd consecutive year on the east side of the Court House.
1:00pm-5:00pm: Friendly City Fortune
Make sure you have a ticket for the biggest raffle in the Shenandoah Valley! You can win cars, cash, vacations and more! One winning ticket will be drawn every 5 minutes for four hours. See the full list of prizes!
1:00pm-9:00pm: Vendor Market Place & Beer Garden
1:00pm-9:00pm: Kids' Zone
5:00pm-9:00pm: Live Music
Live music from Free Union and Erin & the Wildfire
5:00pm-9:00pm: Classic Car Cruise-In
All antiques and hot rods are welcome with no entry fee. The first 75 cars to arrive will receive dash plaques. To enter, email email@example.com.
9:15pm-ish: Fireworks Finale
Fireworks light up the sky over downtown! Here are the recommended safe viewing areas:
- Turner Pavilion & Park, 228 S. Liberty St.
- Food Maxx International Market, 924 W. Market St.
- JMU Memorial Hall Parking Lots, 395 S. High St.
- Thomas Harrison Middle School, 1311 W. Market St.
- Westside Baptist Church, 715 W. Wolfe St.
The rain date for the fireworks show is July 5, 2018. Stay tuned to our website and Facebook page for updates.
When do the fireworks start?
The fireworks begin around 9:15pm, weather permitting. In the event of a storm, a rain date is scheduled for Thursday, July 5th.
How long is the beer garden open?
The beer garden is open from 1pm-9pm, but drink ticket sales stop at 8:30.
Where can I purchase drink tickets? Where can I locate lost items?
Drink tickets can be purchased at the red info tent located at the beer garden entrance. Please visit the info tent if you've lost an item or have questions about the festival.
When do you stop serving alcohol?
Last call to use your drink tickets will be made at 8:30pm. Last pour ends at 8:45pm.
What is the Friendly City Fortune?
The Friendly City Fortune is a $250,000 raffle benefiting Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance. Winning tickets are drawn every 5 minutes for 4 hours! For more information, visit the Friendly City Fortune event page.
Is the festival pet-friendly?
Yes. Friendly dogs are welcome, but must remain on a leash at all times.
Parking & Street Closures
- Both lanes of South Main Street will be closed from Franklin Street to Gay Street
- Court Square will be closed
- Federal Street from Bruce Street to Wolfe Street will be closed
- The left lane of Liberty Street from Gay Street to Bruce Street will be closed
- All parking decks will be accessible
- All streets will reopen by 12pm on July 4
- No roads will officially be closed for fireworks
- The upper portion of Westover Park (disc golf course, playground, shelters, Senior Center) will be closed to vehicles and pedestrians beginning at 1pm; the lower portion of Westover Park (Westover Pool) will be closed to vehicles and pedestrians beginning at 5pm on July 4th. Westover Park will reopen to the public at 8am on July 5th.
- The Municipal Parking Lot by the Turner Pavilion will close for public parking at 11am on July 4. All vehicles left in the municipal lot will be towed at the owner’s expense
- Free parking is located throughout downtown, and labeled with blue & gold signs. Please check the road closures that will prohibit street and lot parking at those locations
- Water Street and Elizabeth Street parking decks will be open
Downtown will be accessible to vehicular traffic; drivers do not need to avoid downtown because of the festivities. HDR encourages drivers to allow for extra travel time and to be mindful of street closures and alternate routes to parking. Free parking is located throughout downtown and labeled with blue & gold signs. Please check the road closures that will prohibit street and lot parking at those locations.
Valley Fourth Cruise-In
Join us at the Valley Fourth Cruise-In at Turner Pavilion in downtown Harrisonburg. Classic cars, antiques and hot rods welcome! To enter for FREE, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-432-8909. The first 75 cars to enter will receive dash plaques.
**Participants will enter the Cruise-In off S. Liberty St.