Food Drive May 16-26
@All 7 Branches of Massanutten Regional Library
- According to Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, local food pantries see an increased demand for food in the summer months (when kids are out of school), yet food donations often go down at this time of year.
- MRL has scheduled our annual “Food for Fines” food drive to spotlight summer food insecurity. All members of the community are encouraged to donate, and library patrons can use donations to erase overdue book fines.
- 1 can/box/package of food = $1.00 off library overdue book fines (applies to overdue fines only; lost book & processing fees must still be paid by cash, check or credit card).
- Needed items: food that is sealed and shelf stable, with low sodium, low sugar, and whole grain items preferred. Also needed are non-food items, such as toothpaste, toilet paper, diapers, and soap. (See a list of most need items: https://www.brafb.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/BRAFB_mostNeededItems_2-10.pdf)
- The library cannot accept food in glass jars, frozen or refrigerated foods, and home-canned food.
- Food drive to benefit local food pantries in communities where MRL branches are located.