The City of Harrisonburg supports special events that provide enjoyable opportunities for residents and visitors, and contribute to a vibrant, livable, and sustainable city. Special events may include fund raisers, festivals, parades, 5ks, cycling, and recreational activities, and other types of gatherings in City-owned public spaces.
Downtown venues available for special events in the City of Harrisonburg include Harrisonburg City Parks, the Turner Pavilion & Park Area, and Court Square.
A number of City departments are involved in the logistics necessary to produce a safe and successful community event. In an effort to simplify the application process for community organizations and event planners, the City of Harrisonburg offers the guidelines below. These guidelines must be met in order to ensure a positive experience for the community.
Organizers of all special events held within the City of Harrisonburg, both new and annual events, must complete the special events application if requesting public assistance (e.g., facility rental, police or fire support, etc.) and/or the closure of a street for any scheduled event. The application must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the event to allow sufficient time for City staff to review your request and provide a recommendation to City Council for consideration.
- The completed application may be emailed or hand-delivered to the Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance office located on the 2nd floor of the Hardesty Higgins House (212 South Main Street) between 9:00am - 4:00pm.
- The application will be reviewed only if it is completed and all supporting documents are included.
- Event organizers may be requested to meet with City staff to review event plans, layout, and event logistics.
- If the application is approved by City staff, the application will be presented to Harrisonburg City Council for their consideration.
- After the City Council meeting, the applicant will be informed of Council’s decision.
If you have questions related to special events in the city, please email us or call 540.432.8909.