Downtown Harrisonburg's beer scene is hopping. During the month of August - in celebration of Virginia Craft Beer Month - we're toasting to our breweries that deliver hand-crafted brews to beer lovers throughout the state and beyond. In addition to brewing great beer, they bring the Harrisonburg community together through events and causes that showcase their investment in our city.
At any time, you'll find something happening at one of our downtown breweries. They host live music, yoga events, food trucks, trivia nights, book clubs, and more. They invite you to bring in carry out from any of the 35+ restaurants in our culinary district. Best of all, they're kid-friendly. They offer special events just for your kiddos and provide activities and spaces where they can have fun while you enjoy a cold pint!
There's lots of events to choose from this month. Let's celebrate over a cold brew!
Brothers Craft Brewing: 800 N. Main Street
Weekly - These events happen every week at Brothers Craft Brewing:
- Monday Trivia: Get $1 off a select draft starting at 7:30 with trivia sign ups. It is free to play. Play on your own or on a team. The winning team receives a $30 gift card.
- Tuesday Drawing and Drafts: Brothers provides the adult coloring sheets. Stop by and make some art in the taproom.
- Tuesday/Wednesday Happy Hour - From 4-6pm, enjoy $1 off all drafts.
- Nacho and Taco Thursdays: Nacho Bizness sets up every Thursday and sells street tacos and nachos with homemade ingredients.
- Cask/Infusion Friday: The brewery infuses one of their beers in a cask/pin or through their infusion system.
- Rejuvenating Saturdays: You can enjoy food trucks and live music on most Saturdays at the brewery.
- Sunday Funday: Enjoy $2 off all growler fills all day
Special Events For August:
- 8/5: The Great Outdoors Day - Brothers will be celebrating their flagship Ale, The Great Outdoors with the businesses and organizations that are dedicated to getting people outdoors.
- 8/11: Brothers Can Collaboration Series Release #6 - They're teaming up with two Virginia breweries - Hardwood and Triple Crossing - for two very unique beers
- 8/18: Cask for a Cause for Skyline Literacy at Brothers Craft Brewing
- 8/19: Rejuvenating Saturdays - Mashita will be serving food all day. Singer/songwriter JAXN will be performing a free show starting around 7:30pm.
- 8/26: Three Miler by VA Momentum - This unique relay race starts and finishes at the brewery. There's still time to sign up!
- 8/30: On the last Wednesday of each month, Brothers Craft Brewing hosts a free concert showcasing the best in local and regional Metal. In August, they will feature Cremains and Petrichor, both from Richmond, and Harrisonburg's Algorithmic Death.
Pale Fire Brewing Company: 217 S. Liberty Street
In addition to live music throughout the month, you can get Pale Fire's Electric Sheep Belgian Amber at a special price ($3.50) during Craft Beer Month.
- Wednesdays at 8pm - Pale Fire hosts a weekly trivia night, hosted by Geeks Who Drink Pub Quizzes. Free to play, with cool prizes to win!
- 8/10: Phoebe Hunt & The Gatherers & Dori Freeman- Doors open at 7pm and the show starts at 8pm. Fee: $10 in advance/$12 at the door
- 8/12: Western Star - Check out this rock and roll band from Baltimore while enjoying a pint of Pale Fire. Music starts at 9pm. Free.
- 8/21: Open Mic Night
- 8/31: Lead Belly Tribute Night - A Lead Belly tribute show featuring Tyler Johnson and other musicians. Music starts at 8pm. Free
Three Notch'd Brewery: 241 E. Market Street
- Bend & Brews - every Saturday at 10am, Three Notch'd offers a yoga class for only $10. Bagels, coffee and a pint of beer are included in the price.
- 8/4: First Fridays at the Brewery - Browse brand new prints and carvings by artist Torie Topor while listening to music by Jordan Perry
- 8/13: Rocktown Chili Throw Down Benefit for VAIL - Local restaurant chefs will battle it out for chili glory. This event is a family-friendly event with lots of activities, including live music, a hot pepper eating contest, chill tasting, a silent auction and more. Fee: $8 at the gate/children under 12 are free.
- 8/18: Fundraiser for Humane Dominion, Virginia's only animal PAC. Three Notch'd will be donating $1 from every pint to the cause.
Wolfe Street Brewing: 120 W. Wolfe Street
- Wednesdays at 8pm - You can play Bingo every week at Wolfe Street Brewing for free!
Live Music in August:
- 8/4: Get Up with Grayling Skyy - Music starts at 8pm. Free.
- 8/11: Live music with Rebecca Wudarski - Music starts at 9pm. Free.
- 8/22: The Yeah Tones - Music starts at 8pm. Free.
Want a chance to win some Virginia is for Craft Beer Lovers Swag?
Post a video or picture on Instagram of a “toast” to your favorite downtown Harrisonburg brewery using #ToastVA and #VACraftbeer, then pass the [virtual] mic by tagging a friend and inviting them to do the same! Weekly winners with the best ‘Toast to Virginia’ will be chosen, by Virginia Tourism Corporation, throughout August to win some sweet Virginia is for Craft Beer Lovers swag.
What’s A Toast? It’s an open interpretation, but stirring salutes, songs, tributes and pint pics are all options. Photos, gifs, videos and Boomerangs are welcome. Follow #ToastVA and #VACraftBeer on Instagram for a few ideas.