Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance and James Madison University are excited to announce the 7th Annual Block Party in the ‘Burg on Saturday, August 26th from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. in downtown Harrisonburg. While this event will temporarily impact traffic and parking, downtown businesses will be open during their regular business hours and will be welcoming customers.
The procession will walk students from campus down Main Street starting at 4:15 p.m. While there will be higher pedestrian activity downtown, parking will be ample and available. Shoppers and diners are encouraged to access parking decks and the municipal lot via N. Liberty and Mason Streets and to enjoy the downtown.
Official street closures for Block Party activities will be as follows:
2:00 – 7:00 p.m.
• The south, west, and north sections of Court Square will be closed for festival activities, set-up, and safety purposes.
• Parking around Court Square will be prohibited. All parking decks and the municipal lot by Turner Pavilion will be open.
3:00 – 7:00 p.m.
• Both lanes of Main Street from Martin Luther King Way to Elizabeth Street will be closed.
• Court Square will be closed.
• All parking decks and municipal lot by Turner Pavilion will be open.
• Main Street will reopen tentatively at 7:00 p.m. depending on crowd levels at the discretion of HPD and Public Works.
• The Municipal Parking Lot by the Turner Pavilion will be open. It will be easily accessible from N. Liberty Street. No event activities will be held at the Pavilion this year.
• The Water Street and Elizabeth Street parking decks will be open and accessible from N. Liberty Street and Mason Street respectively. Upper and lower levels of both of these will be open for public parking.
• Free parking is located throughout downtown, and labeled with blue & gold signs. Please check the road closures that will prohibit street parking at those locations.